Serving clients in Fayetteville and all of NW Arkansas
Motorcycles are a unique and particularly enjoyable mode of transportation and leisure activity. Unfortunately the inherent characteristic of a motorcycle, sport bike or other similar vehicle means that the rider is comparatively less protected than the occupant of a passenger vehicle like a car, truck, or SUV. What this often means is that the rider of a motorcycle who is in an accident often suffers significantly more severe injuries than a motorist. That is, motorcycles are not equipped with many safety features that come standard in passenger vehicles including:
- Unit body construction
- Crumple zones
- Side-curtain airbags
- Collision-avoidance systems
- Night vision systems
According to statistics provided by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), a motorcyclist has a 34-fold increased risk of suffering a fatal accident relative to a motorist in a passenger vehicle.
If you have been involved in a serious motorcycle accident in Arkansas and have been seriously injured, you may be entitled to compensation. Speaking with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney like Ken Kieklak, Attorney at Law can help you to understand your legal options. If it appears that a lawsuit is your best option for recovery, he can guide you through each and every aspect of the litigation process.
Why do Motorcycle Accidents Occur?
While each and every accident involving a motorcycle is a unique product of numerous factors, there are certain factors that are more prevalent than others. These factors include:
- Vehicle defects – In 2014 both the massive Takata exploding airbag and GM ignition switch recalls accounted for a significant percentage of the, record setting, more than 60 million recalled vehicles. Many other vehicle defects exist that can cause a driver or rider to lose control of his or her vehicle.
- Lack of conspicuity – Accidents can occur when a driver fails to see the comparatively smaller profile of a motorcycle rider. Also known as conspicuity, this reason is especially prevalent when the accident occurs at an intersection.
- Traffic violations – Unpredictable actions by driers including violations of the rules of the road, reckless driving, and aggressive driving significantly increases the likelihood of an accident.
- Alcohol or drug use – Use of alcohol, illegal drugs or medications with a sedative effect can impair reaction times and information processing leading to a heightened accident risk.
- Distracted riding or driving – There are many factors that can distract a driver or rider. Cell phones and other hand-held mobile devices are a chief cause in spikes in distracted driving accidents.
- Adverse weather conditions– Snow, freezing rain, torrential downpours, and even tornadoes can increase collision risk due to reduced visibility and increasing stopping distances.
The above captures some of the more common factors that often contribute to causing a motorcycle accident. Ken Kieklak can review the factors and circumstances in your accident and present your legal options in a clear and straight-forward manner.
Can I Recover Damages After My Sebastian County Motorcycle Accident?
Depending on the circumstances and factors present in your accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Damages that compensate you for a loss are typically and logically called compensatory damages. Furthermore, consequential damages due to lost wages, lost future earnings and other financial setbacks may be recoverable. If there was reckless or wanton conduct that contributed to your injury, a court may even be willing to impose punitive damages to send a message that such behavior is unacceptable.
Finally, if your loved one suffered a fatal injury and you are a close family member, you may have standing to file a wrongful death suit for the pain and suffering experienced before death, the cost of medical treatment, the loss of household services, and funeral expenses.
Contact Sebastian County Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Ken Kieklak
Motorcycle accidents can and often do result in life-altering injuries that cause significant amounts of pain and suffering. If you have been seriously injured in a Sebastian County motorcycle accident, Ken Kieklak can work to recover compensation for you. To schedule your free and confidential legal consultation, contact Ken by calling (479) 251-7767 or contact us online.
There are many possible causes of concussions and brain injuries, some of which are the result of human error or negligence. If you or someone in your family has suffered from a brain injury because of someone else’s behavior, you may be able to file a lawsuit against...read more
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy involves putting the patient into a pressurized chamber to help speed the healing of damaged tissue or help push extra oxygen into their system. This procedure is indicated for many purposes, but its use for newborns is quite rare in the...read more
One of the most important questions that must be answered when a person suffers a serious injury on the property of another is who is legally responsible for the injury. Premises liability law can help the victim of an accident determine whether a property owner...read more
https://www.kieklaklawfirm.com/fayetteville-back-injury-workers-compensation-lawyer/Every day, thousands of hard-working Americans go to their jobs without expecting an injury. Unfortunately, many of these people will face an accident which can keep them from...read more