Serving clients in Fayetteville and all of NW Arkansas
Motorcycles are a unique and particularly enjoyable mode of transportation and leisure activity. Unfortunately the inherent characteristic of a motorcycle, sport bike or other similar vehicle means that the rider is comparatively less protected than the occupant of a passenger vehicle like a car, truck, or SUV. What this often means is that the rider of a motorcycle who is in an accident often suffers significantly more severe injuries than a motorist. That is, motorcycles are not equipped with many safety features that come standard in passenger vehicles including:
- Unit body construction
- Crumple zones
- Side-curtain airbags
- Collision-avoidance systems
- Night vision systems
According to statistics provided by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), a motorcyclist has a 34-fold increased risk of suffering a fatal accident relative to a motorist in a passenger vehicle.
If you have been involved in a serious motorcycle accident in Arkansas and have been seriously injured, you may be entitled to compensation. Speaking with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney like Ken Kieklak, Attorney at Law can help you to understand your legal options. If it appears that a lawsuit is your best option for recovery, he can guide you through each and every aspect of the litigation process.
Why do Motorcycle Accidents Occur?
While each and every accident involving a motorcycle is a unique product of numerous factors, there are certain factors that are more prevalent than others. These factors include:
- Vehicle defects – In 2014 both the massive Takata exploding airbag and GM ignition switch recalls accounted for a significant percentage of the, record setting, more than 60 million recalled vehicles. Many other vehicle defects exist that can cause a driver or rider to lose control of his or her vehicle.
- Lack of conspicuity – Accidents can occur when a driver fails to see the comparatively smaller profile of a motorcycle rider. Also known as conspicuity, this reason is especially prevalent when the accident occurs at an intersection.
- Traffic violations – Unpredictable actions by driers including violations of the rules of the road, reckless driving, and aggressive driving significantly increases the likelihood of an accident.
- Alcohol or drug use – Use of alcohol, illegal drugs or medications with a sedative effect can impair reaction times and information processing leading to a heightened accident risk.
- Distracted riding or driving – There are many factors that can distract a driver or rider. Cell phones and other hand-held mobile devices are a chief cause in spikes in distracted driving accidents.
- Adverse weather conditions– Snow, freezing rain, torrential downpours, and even tornadoes can increase collision risk due to reduced visibility and increasing stopping distances.
The above captures some of the more common factors that often contribute to causing a motorcycle accident. Ken Kieklak can review the factors and circumstances in your accident and present your legal options in a clear and straight-forward manner.
Can I Recover Damages After My Sebastian County Motorcycle Accident?
Depending on the circumstances and factors present in your accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Damages that compensate you for a loss are typically and logically called compensatory damages. Furthermore, consequential damages due to lost wages, lost future earnings and other financial setbacks may be recoverable. If there was reckless or wanton conduct that contributed to your injury, a court may even be willing to impose punitive damages to send a message that such behavior is unacceptable.
Finally, if your loved one suffered a fatal injury and you are a close family member, you may have standing to file a wrongful death suit for the pain and suffering experienced before death, the cost of medical treatment, the loss of household services, and funeral expenses.
Contact Sebastian County Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Ken Kieklak
Motorcycle accidents can and often do result in life-altering injuries that cause significant amounts of pain and suffering. If you have been seriously injured in a Sebastian County motorcycle accident, Ken Kieklak can work to recover compensation for you. To schedule your free and confidential legal consultation, contact Ken by calling 479-439-1843 or contact us online.
As part of applying for disability, you may need to fill out a “function report.” This form requires a large amount of information about your daily life and life-tasks, focusing on what you are and are not able to do. After you give the Social Security...read more
Workers’ compensation and disability are two programs that work to the benefit of injured and disabled workers respectively. However, there are differences between workers’ comp and disability that a person should know about before filing an application for either...read more
Drivers behind the wheel of a car or truck have a responsibility to drive safely and follow the rules of the road. Pedestrians walking along the road or crossing the street have little to no protection from airbags, seatbelts, or other protective devices, and they...read more
After being involved in a car accident, most people involved will focus on the issue of fault. People wonder whether they are at fault for the crash or how they can prove the other driver was at fault. In most car accident cases, “fault” is determined by looking at...read more