What to Do After a Minor Car Accident in Arkansas

If you were involved in a car accident, you should seek medical aid and legal assistance if you faced injuries. It doesn’t matter if you consider the crash to be “minor” or if there was little damages to the cars; even minor car accidents can cause injuries. Things like whiplash and back injuries are common, even in somewhat mild car accidents. For help understanding your next steps and whether you should file a claim for damages after a minor car accident, talk to Fayetteville car accident lawyer Ken Kieklak today.

First Steps After a Fender Bender Injury

When you are involved in a car accident, your first move should be to call 9-1-1. Any car accident involving personal injury needs to be reported to the police, and they need to make an accident report. This report cannot be used as evidence if you take your case to court, but you can get the police officer to testify to what he or she saw in the aftermath of the accident. The officer’s report can also help you build your case since it will contain names and contact info for anyone involved in the accident.

Contacting emergency services is also vital if you were injured. You should always have yourself seen by an EMT and follow their instructions if they think you should go to the hospital. Even in a low-speed accident without much property damage, you can still hit your head or suffered serious whiplash injuries that should be treated.

If you are able to, there is also some information you should collect at the scene. You should get the other driver’s name, contact info, and insurance info. You should also get the make and model of the car, its license plate number, and other information. You should also speak to any witnesses and get their contact information.

If you have a camera or a phone, take pictures of the scene. Pictures are helpful to show the jury what the scene looked like, where cars were positioned, what the injuries looked like, and how lighting and weather conditions may have contributed to the accident. If you are unable to take pictures, the police may take pictures that you can later request a copy of – but you should not rely on this.

Can You Sue for a Car Crash with Minor Injuries?

When you file a lawsuit for a car accident, the primary concern should be your injuries. While vehicle damage may be expensive and stressful, the injuries you face are the core part of most car accident lawsuits.

If you were injured in a crash, you can file a lawsuit for those injuries. While car insurance might cover some damages, it may not cover 100% of your injuries or may miss certain types of damages, like pain and suffering damages.

A lawsuit can cover injuries regardless of how much vehicle damage the car accident caused. Even low-speed crashes can cause serious injuries to your back and neck. These injuries could linger and cause pain and discomfort on an ongoing basis, so it may be important to file a lawsuit to seek pain and suffering damages for these injuries. If you have sustained a painful injury in a car accident such as whiplash, contact an experienced Bentonville, AR whiplash attorney at Kieklak Law today.

Minor Car Accident Settlement Amounts

Many personal injury cases involve settlements, but these may not always be appropriate for the circumstances of your case. Many minor car accidents do not involve injury at all. In these cases, it may be simple to file your claim through insurance instead of a court of law. This can get you damages for your car repairs quickly.

However, if you suffered personal injury in the crash, a settlement may not be enough to cover your needs. Car insurance lawsuits can help you recover 100% of damages for lost wages, medical expenses, and pain and suffering. However, a settlement with the at-fault driver or their insurance company may pay only a portion of the damages and may exclude damages for pain and suffering. Always check with an attorney before accepting an injury settlement.

Call Our Fayetteville Car Accident Lawyer for a Free Legal Consultation

After a car crash, you should consider talking to an attorney about filing a claim for personal injury. Even if the injuries were mild compared to more serious crashes, things like whiplash and back injuries can still cause serious pain and discomfort, and you may deserve compensation for your injuries. For a free consultation on your case, contact Ken Kieklak, Attorney at Law, today. Our Fayetteville AR personal injury lawyer may be able to help with your car accident lawsuit. To schedule your free consultation, call our law offices today at (479) 316-0438.